Zaragoza has already become the first large city in Spain to recycle more than 50% of its waste (35% on average) and has been selected as a member of one NetZeroCities Panel to take climate action by 2030. The city will implement its PCDE in the Actur-Rey Fernando district, including 2 residential and 4 public buildings. The district’s pioneering initiatives will focus on the renovation of these buildings through improved insulation, integration of renewable energy sources (RES) through PV installation and LowEx District Heating ring through hydrothermal connection for energy sharing among buildings.
The interventions include:
Envelope retrofitting to reduce buildings’ energy demand
- Rehabilitation of façades to enhance the insulation of the buildings using recycled polyurethane foam granules.
- Replacement of buildings’ windows with triple glazing to achieve high-performance coating with higher visible transmission and higher energy efficiency.
- Window carpentry improvement to prevent energy loss in windows by minimising frontal exposure of the system’s features through a concealed sash window with high glazing capacity.
High-efficient Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning, and Domestic Hot Water
- High-temperature CO2 pumps with an installed power of 30 kW to produce 100 % for domestic hot water (DHW) of dwellings in residential buildings.
- Installation of high-temperature pumps for heating through hydrothermal energy.
Integrated Renewable Energy Sources (RES)
- Active-ventilated photovoltaic (PV) façade for optimal performance and electric energy utilisation.
- Development of the required wells to provide the hydrothermal energy needed by the LowEx
- District (collection and spill wells).
- Installation of PV panels to provide the electric demand and export energy surpluses.
Grid Management and energy control optimisation
- Energy and environmental assessment tool for PCED replication to improve open information, decision-making, monitoring and management of urban KPIs.
- Development of V2G 12.5kW chargers for electric or hybrid vehicles that enable recharging electricity at the lowest possible price and feeding it to the grid when it is most expensive.